..........Polikarpov I-16 Completed:
..........Videos of 1st Sart and Taxi Tests: rotecradial
..........Classic Photos: r
Volker Writes (3rd November 2008):
yesterday were at half power, just to get a feel for the plane (I was
on the brakes the whole time, I have to consciously get my feet off ;)
More to come ...
rotecradial Now read about the project:
Volker Heydecke Russian Polikarpov I-16 Fighter (1st of its kind):
A Polikarpov I-16 Type 24 over the eastern front during World War II.
Often referred to as the I-16 Ishak (Little Donkey)
Originally powered by a 450HP radial it made its first appearance in 1933 and flew in December of 1933 achieving a creditable 376 km/h (234 mph).
Development continued and the I-16 took on a 1000HP radial which provided speeds reaching over 520km/h (325 mph).
It was also used by the Republicans in the Spanish Civil war (1936). rotecradial YOU ARE @ HOME of Rotecradial
Additional info from Volker: Polikarpov and RotecRadial home page
As I need to outfit my plane with flaps to achieve the low stall speed I will finish the plane with the ideas of the early models of the I16, i.e. sliding canopy, flaps, no gun fairings.
As the scale factor is hitting everybody over the head I did need to make changes to the original layout of the plane, i.e. the wing sweep, nose length (the 9cyl is not heavy enough!), aileron shape, as these changes make the plane not unrecognisable but hopefully easier to fly.
Mr. Polikarpov in the early days had good intentions by making the design tail heavy by nature but we're not all fighter pilots or expendable.
Date: 3rd May 2007:
Volker chose positive molding techniques. This means cutting plugs out of foam and glassing over (The foam will be removed to save weight)
It's a composite structure, the front and wing will be mainly fiber glass, cockpit and tail will be mainly carbon fiber..
At this stage the cockpit is ready to be outfitted with instruments and steering, the wing will get the undercarriage mockup next week.
Click on the thumbnails to enlarge ...
At the moment I'm joining the tail cone to the cockpit section (weighs 35kg altogether), after which the tail feathers will be fitted and then the engine can be mounted.
Date September 2007:
October and November 2007:
April 2008: Hi Jim,
At the moment I'm waiting for the engine mount to be welded up.
cowling front is finished and incorporates a shutter, long air guides
towards the cylinder and a carb heat valve in the top carb air inlet
Click on the thumbnails to enlarge ...
a few weeks waiting for the engine mount to be finished I got it and
painted it yesterday and today at night I mounted the engine. All went
well and the engine is sitting very proudly and wants to take the rest
of the plane for a flight :)
Please find some pictures attached. I trial mounted the cowling front as well and it fits. The top air inlet with the carb heat box needs to be reworked slightly but otherwise it will work. As the engine had to move forward (the cylinders now sit at the correct scale position, but the PSRU makes the cowling a bit longer) for CoG reasons I now find ample space behind the engine for a straight down channel to the carburetor.
< (Engine cowling and air flow shutter)
8/5/2008 Hi Jim,
Please find attached a picture of the canopy blank that I got today. The work on a mold for that really worked out.. Even so the russians used a multi- facett canopy on the earlier types, I think Polikarpov would have used a blown or vacuum (like mine) pulled canopy if it would have been available at the time.
I'll make one sliding canopy with the short wind shield and one as a fully enclosed canopy. Testflying will be done with the short version pushed forward..
Top Cowling and Exhaust (25th June 2008): Click on the thumbnails to enlarge ... rotecradial
Please find some more pictures attached here.They show the engine compartment and some details. Cowling
I finally went to a laminated vinylester oil tank in the top of the cowling front, high temperature stuff. It's sitting as much forward as can be and cooling of the oil should never be a problem. Only every 25h I have to unplug most of the hoses to get the cowling front off for the PSRU inspection. But it's a 5 minute job only..
The drain and overflow sit in front of the cylinders in the cowling between two inlets. For the cylinder drain I remove the whole bottom cowl, takes only 1 minute, less time than on the other planes we built with normal screws to hold the cowl on.
In between the rocker cases I made those baffles, I still need to establish if I need baffles between the cylinders..
Some more things to put in are the CHT and EGT probes and the stainless fire membran behind the exhaust stubs.
The whole installation looks now quite similar to the original russian (I guess a good thing here), only they didn't use fire sleeve arround the oil hoses.
- Feb 2009:
The spinner has a central air intake with a diffusor aft, then a bulkhead in front of the prop hub and a back plate behind, both with holes to let the air through. I only have to fit seals arround the prop blades.
also cut holes in the front of the cowling (closing up when the shutter
closes) and put cooling ducts behind to guide the air onto the PSRU.